KELLY'S 1888 DIRECTORY

The entry for Cradley in Kelly's 1880 directory has 197 individuals



Cradley Links wishes to record our grateful thanks to Linda Lamberg, who generously gave her time to produce this transcription.


Entry for Cradley in Kelly\'s 1888 directory, first page
Click to open enlarged image (600 x 1050 pixels) in new window
 Entry for Cradley in Kelly's 1888 directory, first page 
Entry for Cradley in Kelly\'s 1888 directory, second page
Click to open enlarged image (600 x 1002 pixels) in new window
 Entry for Cradley in Kelly's 1888 directory, second page 
Entry for Cradley in Kelly\'s 1888 directory, third page
Click to open enlarged image (600 x 1053 pixels) in new window
 Entry for Cradley in Kelly's 1888 directory, third page 


CRADLEY is a township, extensive and populous district and an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1799 from the civil parish of Halesowen with a station to the Birmingham and Stourbridge section of the Great Western railway, situated on the borders of Staffordshire, in the Northern division of this county, hundred of Lower Halfshire, Stourbridge union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Dudley and arch-deaconry and diocese of Worcester, 2 1/2 miles east from Stourbridge, 4 south from Dudley and 9 1/2 south-west from Birmingham.  The town itself lies a little off the main road and forms part of a populous mercantile and manufacturing neighbourhood, in which the iron trade is carried on in all its branches: water is supplied by the South Staffordshire Water Works Company and gas by the Cradley Heath Gas Company.  The church, originally a chapel belonging to Lady Huntingdon's connexion, is an edifice of brick, repaired in the year 1874, at a cost of about £4,500, which was subscribed by the parishioners, and consists of a chancel nave, south porch, and a tower containing a clock and 8 bells, which formed part of the Vienna exhibition of 1873 and were presented by the late Mrs Strawson: a new font was introduced in 1867 and an organ built of a cost of £400; there are 700 sittings, the gallery pews, seating about 200, being free.  In 1852 a grant of land was made by the sons of the late Rev. George Biggs (a former Vicar of the parish of Halesowen) for the enlargement of the burial grounds of this parish and a second enlargement of one acre was made in 1874.  The register of baptisms and burials dates from 1785 and marriages 1802.   The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £140, in the gift of the Rector of Halesowen, and held since 1856 by the Rev. Joseph Hesselgrave Thompson B.A. of Hertford College, Oxford .  The great tithes are held by lay impropriator, Mr. Jeston Humpfray.  Here are places of worship for Unitarians, Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and New Connexion Methodists.  The extensive iron works of Messrs. Evers and Son produce superior qualities of iron, and files, rasps, anvils, hammers, nails, anchors, chain cables, and fire bricks are made in the district: Messrs Harper and Moore are manufacturers of fire bricks, clay retorts and crucibles, and proprietors of the Stourbridge clay.  Messrs King Brothers are also proprietors of the celebrated Stourbridge clay, and manufacture bricks and other fire-clay goods.  The works of the Homer Hill Colliery Company are situated in the centre of the parish.  One mile from the northern extremity of Cradley, in a romantic, richly-timbered vale, is a spring of salt water, called the "Lady Well," highly esteemed on account of its medicinal qualities: in the summer it is very much frequented.  Colman Hill House Retreat, for the exclusive reception of lady inebriates, is in this district: the house is beautifully situated in extensive grounds, and the views from all parts are very fine: Hugh Richard Ker F.R.C.S. edin. and Thomas Vincent de Denne L.R.C.P. edin. Townsend House Halesowen are the managing directors, Miss Cooper is the resident superintendent.  There are a few handsome residences here: the Elms is the property of William Pearson Strawson esq.: Fairview is occupied by Samuel Hingley esq.; and Colman Hill by Jeston Homfray esq.: Lord Lyttelton D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are the New British Iron Company, Jeston Homfray esq. James Holcroft esq. J.P. of Stourbridge, James Payton Badley esq. of Dudley, and the Old Swinford Hospital, Mrs King, of Wollescote Hall, Stourbridge, Messrs Joseph King and Co. Messrs Harper and Moores, Samuel Evers and Sons, of Cradley Heath Staffs, and J .B. Fisher and Co. of Stourbridge.   The soil in general is a rich loam, and is noted for the cultivation of cabbage plants; it also produces potatoes and all kinds of grain, and forms excellent pasturage ; and the lands of the north and west of Netherland  (a part of the township of Cradley ) abound with the thick coal and fire clay.  The area is 732 acres; rateable value, £16,166; the population in 1871 was 4,700 and in 1881, 5,284.
Netherend, Colley Gate, Overend Two Gates and Colman Hill are near the town.  Staffords Bridge is a small place on Cradley brook, 9 miles southwest from Worcester. 

POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE. Savings Bank and Annuity and Insurance Office - Mrs Elizabeth Christopher, receiver.  Letters arrive from Brierley Hill at 7. 10 a.m. & 2. 20 & 7 20 p.m. ; dispatched at 8 45 & 11.15 a.m. & 2.40 6.45, 7.10 & 8.30 p.m. : Sundays at 8.45 p.m.    The nearest telegraph office is at Cradley Heath.
County Police Station, High street, William Webb, officer in charge.
PUBLIC OFFICERS: - Inland Revenue Officer, Osborne Oliver, Church Street.
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Cradley district, Stourbridge union, Wesley Haynes Thompson L.R.C.P. edin. Clyde House, Windmill Hill. 
Highway Rate & Tax Collector, Ambrose Pearson, Netherend.
PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of Services: -
Cradley Church, Rev. Joseph Hasselgrave Thompson B.A. vicar; 10.45 a.m. & 3. & 6.30 p.m. ; wed. 7 p.m.
Baptist vacant, minister: 10.30. a.m. & 6 p.m. ; wed 7. p.m.
Methodist New Connexion, ministers various: 10.30. a.m. & 2.30. & 6. p.m. ;  thurs 7.00 p.m.
Primitive Methodist, ministers various: 10.45 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; thurs 7.30 p.m.
Unitarian, Rev Jas. Crossley, minister; 11 a.m. & 6. 30 p.m.
Wesleyan, ministers various ; 10.30. a.m. & 6 p.m. ; wed 7 p.m.
SCHOOLS:-
British (mixed & infants), built in 1871, for 185 boys, 160 girls 130 infants; average attendance, 170 boys, 148 girls & 98 infants; John James Homer, master; Miss Elizabeth Edwards, mistress; Miss Elizabeth Yeaman, infants mistress
National (mixed & infants), for 278 children & 175 infants; average attendance, 152 children & 113 infants; Joseph Jacquis, master; Miss Mary Jane Mills, infants' mistress.
Unitarian, erected in 1796 (the boys school was opened in 1872), for 160 boys, 115 girls & 75 infants: average attendance, 107 boys 105 girls & 61 infants; Jas McIlwraith, master; Miss Eliza Hingley mistress: Miss Emily Woodridge, infants' mistress.
Railway Station, Cradley Heath, Rd. Roach, station master
CARRIERS TO BIRMINGHAM : - Alfred Wooldridge, Netherend to "Phoenix", Park Street, on tues. thurs. & sat.

(For other names in the district, see STOURBRIDGE & ROWLEY REGIS STAFFS.)

        PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
  • Attwood Joseph, Fairview Lodge
  • Attwood Thos. Essington House Colman Hill
  • Bate Alfred Park house, Colley Gate
  • Bissell George Simeon, Parkside house
  • Brazier William, Salt Hill house
  • Bridgewater James, Furnace Lane
  • Butler James, Colley Orchard
  • Crossley Rev. James (Unitarian), Parsonage Netherend
  • Dakin George Frederick, Clent View
  • Darby Christr. The Firs, Windmill Hill
  • Davies Thomas D. Windmill Hill
  • Fellows Miss, Windmill Hill
  • Fox Mrs, Furlong Lane
  • Goring George, Colley Gate
  • Griffin William sen. Colley Gate
  • Griffin William jun. Windmill Hill
  • Harper Harry, Netherend Cottage
  • Harris Arthur, Furlong Lane
  • Hingley Benjamin M.P., J.P. Hatherton Lodge: & Grand Hotel London W.C.
  • Hingley Joseph, Linton House
  • Hingley Miss, Hatherton Lodge
  • Hingley Samuel, Fairview
  • Homer John James, Colley Orchard
  • Homer Miss, Colley Gate
  • Homer Thomas, The Limes Colley Gate
  • Homfray Jeston Colman Hill
  • Hunter William, Colley Gate
  • Kendrick Wm, West End Colley Gate
  • Lloyd Thomas Hemmings, Highfield Cottage, Windmill Hill
  • Payton Thos. Rose Cottage Windmill Hill
  • Price Thomas, Aston villa's, Colley Gate
  • Roycroft John, Aston villa's, Colley Gate
  • Sidaway Mrs, Chapel House
  • Strawson William Pearson, The Elms, Colley Lane
  • Thompson Rev. Joseph Hesselgrave B.A. (vicar)
  • Thompson Wesley Hayes, L.R.C.P. edin. Clyde House, Windmill Hill
  • Tibbetts Mrs Colley Gate
  • Turnley Richard, Homer Hill House
  • Wright Wm. James, Colley Orchard
  • Yeaman Nicholas, Colley Orchard


COMMERCIAL
  • Adams James, carpenter, Furlong Lane
  • Adams William Edwin, Bull's Head P.H. & shopkeeper, Overend
  • Adams William Hy: chain ma. Lyde green
  • Arch & Brook, druggists & seedsmen, High Street
  • Attwood Benj. hame ma. Lyde green
  • Attwood Eliza (Mrs). Beer ret. Lyde green
  • Attwood John, butcher High Street
  • Attwood Richard, chain maker, Mill St.
  • Banner Charles, shopkeeper & carpenter, Butchers Lane
  • Batham Daniel, beer retailer High St .
  • Beasley Allen, Old Vine P.H. Park Rd. & chainmaker, Colley Gate
  • Beasley Chas. Shopkeeper, Windmill Hill
  • Bennett Saml. Beer retailer, Two Gates
  • Bennett Wm. Beer retailer, Victoria St .
  • Bird Mary Ann (Mrs), dressmaker, High St .
  • Bissell James, shopkeeper, High St .
  • Bloomer & Sons, Ball & chain manufacturers, Colley Orchard
  • Bloomer Ellen & Mary (Misses), shopkeepers, Windmill Hill
  • Bloomer Edward, shopkeeper, High st.
  • Bloomer Geo. Albt. Linen drpr. Colley Gate
  • Bloomer Isaac Parkes, bldr. Colman Hill
  • Bloomer Mary (Mrs), pawnbro. High st
  • Blunt Felix, shopkeeper, Bridge st
  • Box Thomas, shopkeeper, Colley lane
  • Boxley Wm. Henry, grocer, Two Gates
  • Brettell James Alfd. Grocer, Colley gate
  • Bridgewater Hannah (Mrs), greengrocer, Bridge st
  • Bridgewater Hannah (Mrs), grocer & agent for W & A Gilby wine & spirit merchants' High st
  • Bridgewater Joseph, grocer, High st
  • Brown Jeremiah, iron mer. Homer hl
  • Case Philip, shopkeeper, Colley lane
  • Christopher Joseph, shopkeeper, Butchers lane
  • Christopher Elizah (Mrs), post & money order office & savings bank High st
  • Colman Hill House Retreat for Lady Inebriates (H R Ker F.R.C.S.E. & T. V. de Denne L.R.C.P. managing directors; Miss Cooper, lady resident supt.); office, Townsend Ho Halesowen.
  • Clarke Peter, Crown P.H. Lyde Green
  • Clift Hy. Boot & shoe ma. High st
  • Clewes T M & Son, wool dealers, woollen manufacturers & merchants & wool mop & twine makers, The Park Mills
  • Coley Christopher, shopkeeper, Bridge st
  • Cornock Sidney, shopkeeper High st
  • Cox Daniel, shopkeeper, Furlong lane
  • Cox Henrietta (Mrs), Blue Ball P.H. Ball lane
  • Cox Thos. Round of Beef P.H. Windmill hl
  • Crampton Henry, nail ma. Lyde green
  • Crampton Thomas, shopkeeper & nail maker, Two gates
  • Cutler Frederick Edward, Rose & Crown P.H. High st
  • Dainty Wm. Greengrocer Butchers la
  • Darby Joseph, Tailor, Windmill hl1
  • Dewhurst Alfd. Boot & shoemaker High st
  • Downes Thomas, beer retailer Overend
  • Edmonds Thomas, shopkeeper Windmill hl
  • Fellows Thomas, beer retailer, Netherend
  • Fellows William, Bridge Inn Bridge st
  • Finch Mary (Mrs), Old Two Gates P.H.
  • Fox Charles John, maltster Overend
  • Gadd Joseph, greengrocer High st
  • Gill Esther (Mrs), Butcher, High st
  • Gill George, shopkeeper, High town
  • Gill Samuel, beer retailer, Two Gates
  • Griffin William, anchor, chain & chain cable maker, Victoria works
  • Hadley Alfred, Fish man, High st
  • Harbach Wm. Shopkeeper, Windmill hl
  • Harper & Moores, colliery proprietors & brick makers, Netherend (Postal address, Stourbridge.)
  • Harper Reuben, beer & wine retailer, Furlong lane
  • Harris Hara, grocer, Windmill hl
  • Hawkeswood Benjamin Barley, shopkeeper and Sun P.H. Overend
  • Hickman Benjamin, shopkeeper Colley gate
  • Hickman Wm. General dir. Colley gate
  • Hickton William Henry, Black Swan P.H. High st
  • Hingley Benjamin grocer, High st
  • Hingley Joseph, farmer, Windmill hl
  • Hingley James, beer retailer, butcher & farmer, High St .
  • Hipkiss William Evan, Lodge Forge inn, & brick maker & iron forger
  • Hodgetts Benjamin, butcher, High Town
  • Hodgetts Chas. Shopkeeper, High Town
  • Hodgetts William, shopkeeper, Maple Gap lane, Colley Gate
  • Homer Hill Colliery Co. (Samuel Evers & Sons, proprs:  Richard Turnley, man)
  • Homer Hy, greengrocer, Cradley forge
  • Homer Paul, general dealer, High St
  • Homer Thomas, solicitor, Colley gate
  • Horton David, greengrocer, High St
  • Hughes Issiah, water miller & grocer High St
  • Hughes Samuel, Holly Bush P.H. & maltster High St
  • Huland Thomas, greengrocer, Colley gate
  • Hutchings Wm. Wagon bldr. Lyde green
  • Jones & Lloyd manufacturers of anchors, anvils, vices, bolts & nuts, backbands, cables & rigging chains, crane chains, hammers, horse nails, improved connecting links, rivets, shackles, sail clews, shipping tackle, ship's lamps, spikes, tackle & clip hooks, thimbles, traces, wrought nails &c. &c. Cradley forge & Scotia works.
  • Jones Issac, painter, Windmill hill
  • Kendrick William Henry, boot & shoe dealer, Colley gate
  • King Brothers, Stourbridge fire brick & clay propr; works, Netherend (Postal address, Stourbridge.)
  • King Joseph & Co. coal masters & red and blue brick & terra cotta manufacturers, Netherend, (Postal address, Stourbridge.)
  • Leonard Samuel, Maypole P.H.
  • Mason Charles, farmer, Overend
  • Mobberley Samuel & Co. Homer Hill, fire clay & fire brick works
  • Mole Albert, Horse Shoe P.H. & blacksmith Colley gate
  • Murrall Rt. Blacksmith Windmill hill
  • Nock Eliza, (Miss), ladies schl. Colley gate
  • Oliver Eliza, (Mrs) beer retailer, Colley gate
  • Oliver Osborne, inland revenue officer, Church St
  • Oliver Frank & Wm. Talbot Hotel & maltsters & farmers, & Park Lane tavern, Netherend.
  • Paddock Bros. Axle mas. Phoenix iron works
  • Parkes William, shopkeeper, Colley lane
  • Parsons John, chain maker, New St
  • Partridge Geo. Chain manufacturer, Park side
  • Pateshill John, tanner Park side
  • Pearson Ambrose, dairyman, highway rate & tax collector, Netherend
  • Pearson Amos, linen draper, High St
  • Pearson Benjamin, frying pan maker, see Taylor and Pearson
  • Pearson Henrietta (Mrs) shopkeeper, High St
  • Percival Tabitha, (Mrs) smallware dealer, High St
  • Perry Charlotte, (Mrs) grocer, Two gates
  • Plant Samuel, shopkeeper, Lyde green
  • Plant Warwick, greengrocer, High St
  • Poole John, commission agent, Colley lane
  • Priest Eliza, (Miss) milliner, Windmill hill
  • Radford Samuel, confectioner, High St
  • Raybould Jas. Priest, shopkeeper, High St
  • Raybould Richard, shoemaker High St .
  • Robinson Emma, (Mrs) shopkeeper, High town
  • Robinson John, greengrocer, High St
  • Roper Benjamin, shopkeeper, Windmill hill
  • Roper Caleb, shopkeeper, Windmill hill
  • Roper Emanl. White Lion inn, Colley gate
  • Rudge Trueann, (Mrs) china & glass dealer, Windmill hill
  • Sidaway Joseph, butcher, High St
  • Sidaway Louisa (Mrs), shopkeeper, High St
  • Southall Benjamin, shopkeeper, Windmill hill
  • Southall John, chain maker Lyde green
  • Spencer Edward William, shopkeeper, Windmill hill
  • Stiff John William, grocer & yeast importer, sole agent for R. O. Bischof's celebrated grand prize medal encore yeast, Colley gate
  • Stevens John, grocer, Netherend
  • Stevens Richard, farmer, Windmill hill
  • Stevens William, Horse & Jockey P.H. Netherend
  • Tate James, shopkeeper, Windmill hill
  • Tate Samuel, British Arms P.H. Furlong Lane
  • Tate Thomas, farmer, Overend
  • Tate William, beer retailer, High town
  • Tate William, butcher, Furlong lane, Colley gate
  • Taylor & Pearson, frying pan makers, Colley gate
  • Taylor George, boot & shoe dealer, Colley lane
  • Thompson Benjamin, inspector of nuisances for Cradley & Lye, Windmill hill
  • Thompson Wesley Hayes, L.R.C.P. & L.R.C.S. edin. physician & surgeon & medical officer & public vaccinator, Cradley district, Stourbridge union, Clyde House, Colman Hill
  • Thomas John, shoemaker, Windmill hill
  • Tullis William, shopkeeper, High St
  • Turner Alfred William, beer retailer, Two gates
  • Turnley Richard, colliery manager, Homer Hill house
  • Wakeman John, beer retailer, Netherend
  • Walker David, chain maker
  • Walker Edward Taylor, chain manufacturer, Lyde green
  • Walker Felix, chain maker
  • Walker William, chain maker
  • Webb Sylvia (Mrs) shopkeeper Bridge St
  • White Thomas, butcher, Colley gate
  • White Thomas, shopkeeper, High St
  • Willetts Edward, shopkeeper, High St
  • Willetts Zachariah, coal dealer, Colley gate
  • Wooldrige Simeon, farmer, Netherend
  • Worton Caleb, shopkeeper, High St
  • Worton Charles, nail manufacturer, Windmill hill


Notes

Linda Lamberg, who so generously supplied this transcription, writes:

Joseph Darby 1835-1916

Joseph was born in Cradley Heath Staffs., the oldest son of Joseph Snr. a master tailor. His mother died within the first year of his life. Joseph Snr. then married Elizabeth Brown from Dudley, and they had two more sons, William and Samuel; all three sons became master tailors. William married Maria Stringer and had a tailor's shop in Cradley Heath: Samuel married Julia Barnsley from Cradley Heath; they moved to Worcester, where Samuel had a Draper's Shop. Elizabeth died and Joseph Snr. married her sister Sarah.

Joseph married a Sophia, who was from Huntingdon. From 1864 they are living in Alma Place, Windmill Hill, just two doors down from "The Round of Beef". Joseph ran his business from there. In 1880 he became a local preacher, and served as a Sunday School teacher at Cradley Wesleyan Church. Joseph was a very "hands on preacher"; he went into the chain shops and preached to the men on the shop floor, which lead to the formation of Overend Mission. Apparently he was a truly marvellous preacher. When he died a memorial window was dedicated "To the Glory of God, and in memory of Joseph Darby" and was unveiled in 1921 at Cradley Wesleyan. This window was the only one to be reclaimed by the Church in 1995, when it closed down, and is now installed at Overend Mission.

printer friendly